Social Icons

Book of Love (1990)

Why do I continue to put myself through the torture of medicore romantic comedies set in the 1950's?  Because it's my firm belief at that somewhere out there has to be one film where the plot doesn't completely revolve around some nerdy guy trying to get lucky with the hottest girl in school who is only using him to anger her boyfriend, or simply enjoys being fawned upon... I just haven't found it yet.

You've probably never heard of Book of Love, neither have I, and I've never heard of anyone in this film, but I stumbled upon it on the trailer section of the Proof DVD and decided check it out.  It's the story of Jack Twiller a new kid in town who quickly finds his niche with some of the more "unique" guys in town, and by unique I mean social outcasts.  Like every other romantic comedy set in the 1950's Twiller falls for the hottest girl in school, who just happens to be dating the tough guy and star football player.  To summarize this played out plot any further would only waste your time, my opinon is if you've seen one of these 50's era teen comedies you've seen them all, it's overly campy, at times overly crude, and really rarely even funny.  Essentially Book of Love is a tamer, less boring version of Mischief (another film you've probably never heard of) but lacks the lovely Kelly Preston.  If these cookie cutter 50's comedies are your thing, check it out, otherwise continue pretending it doesn't exist, I've already forgotten about it.

4/10


5 comments:

  1. I don't know this film at all - 50's and teenagers makes me think of Rebel without a cause and I guess you don't want to get Book of Love confused with Sea of Love ... with Pacino.

    Simon

    Blog: http://knowingviews.blogspot.com/
    Podcast: http://simonandjoshow.mypodcast.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this movie, but I love a song with the same name sang by Peter Gabriel which appears on certain soundtrack but I won't say from which movie (it's way too bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cry-Baby is probably my favorite rom-com set in the 1950's. It's weird and funny, plus it's a musical! It has a lot of the cliche aspects of stories set in that period, but with that strange John Waters flair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remeber this movie, but when I watch I swaer there is a deleted scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Have this movie and its really good funny too just watching it makes me happy its one of those movies where a teenage boy reminces on his past of when he were in highschool falling for the pretty girl ends up marrying her but then realizes that his old flame was the other cooler girl that he took to prom yes Book Of Love is a very very good movie and i think its based on a true story also there is a novel to it intitled Jack In The Box cause its says that on back of the dvd box very good movie im givibg it 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...